Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Being Crafty-Spice Scented Fabric Ornaments.

I came up a with this idea yesterday, taking a craft my mom used to do to another level. I had an old factory manufactured quilt that was starting to come apart. It has a lot of holiday colors in it, and looks old timey. So, I decided to use the fabric, and batting to make ornaments. The twist is adding cloves, and bits of whole cinnamon inside to make them smell nice. They will make my tree smell so wonderful! I also can use the fabric to do all sorts of other things, including re quilting the pieces into a new design. I didn't have to buy anything but the spices, and I am making something old into something new. It is always best to reuse if you can.

I cut pattern shapes out of construction paper using some of my cookie cutters, and some old Christmas cookie cutters that were my grandmothers. I made the necessary adjustments to the scale as needed.

Here are some pictures of the first ones I did before, and after. Now they are not perfect in the slightest, considering it has been a while since I have used a sewing machine. I am hoping they get better as time goes along.

p.s. Since posting this, I have adorned the ornaments with buttons I got at the dollar store, that I had picked up for another project . The buttons really added a nice touch. I made the little dress after the first pictures, and made the hanger from jewelry wire. I can't wait to put these on my tree. :)



No comments: